Wednesday, September 24, 2014

If the wig fits, wear it! (Or, Not...)

I was blessed with really thick, curly hair, as a child.  In fact, I remember many attempts to straighten it, as a teen.  One attempt, in fact, almost cost me my long tresses...it involved an iron, ironing board, and a long phone call in the midst of my friend "ironing" my hair.  I don't think you ever forget the smell of burning hair...(Mind you, this was long before modern curling irons and ceramic straighteners.). Oops, I am giving away my age!

Another time, my mom, my sister, and I went to the beauty salon.  Of course, my mom got her usual "do",  my sister tried a perm, and I got my hair chemically straightened.  It turned out beautifully, but was a very expensive proposition to keep up.  As the years progressed, I spent many hours trying to make my hair look good, had tons of different hairstyles, used many hair curling/straightening tools, and changed my hair color (not always with rave reviews).  In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have wasted so much time on how I looked and should have accepted what God gave me with gratitude.

The first chemo drugs I received didn't cause me to lose my hair.  They merely made it thinner, and a bit more brittle.  When you are a cancer patient and receiving chemo, you Cannot use hair dyes.  This is one of the many things they don't tell you upfront, along with the fact that you can no longer go to the nail salon, due to the risk of infection.  Chemo basically destroys both the bad cells from the disease, and your body's immune system along with it.  Not a pretty picture, I'm afraid! Leaving you feeling awful and looking awful, too...

When my cancer returned after a short remission, we tried a new type of chemotherapy which caused me to lose my hair.  Slowly, at first, so I covered my head with scarves, caps, and hats.  I won't bore you with the nasty and annoying details.  Let's just say, you get to a point where it is more comfortable to have your head shaved.  It was a very emotional day for me, and of course, couldn't have come at a worse time, as my daughter's wedding was just weeks away...

Most people think it is easy to just go out and buy a wig, but I'm here to tell you that is Not true.  It does, however, give you the opportunity to try different hair colors and styles without being permanently stuck with the results.  My husband and I have joked about the "many moods of Barb", each one with her own unique hairstyle.  He always knows just how to make me laugh!  I thank God that we were blessed with a good sense of humor.

The truth is that wigs are expensive, uncomfortable, and can cause your head to both itch and perspire at will!  They sometimes feel too loose and if it's windy out, you could be chasing your wig in the parking lot at the mall (trust me, a true story here).  And, if they are too tight, watch out' 'cause a migraine is sure to be next.  They also make it hard to hug people because you can be left with your hair sideways on your head (have you ever seen Nathan Lane in the movie, The Birdcage?)...I giggle just thinking about it.

Anyway, wigs can be a blessing or a curse. My hair is just starting to come back in, which is a story for another day.  I feel like I am getting more confident about going out without a wig on.  If Joan Lunden can show off her completely bald head on the cover of People magazine, (where she looks absolutely beautiful,) then, I guess I can walk around with my closely shaved hair.  If you are on your own cancer journey, I hope you can find humor in my experiences and maybe feel more comfortable sporting whatever style makes you feel your best! Have A Blessed Day!  - Barb




2 comments:

  1. Mom, you are beautiful with or without hair. Hair doesn't make you who you are. I love your beautiful sense of humor and kind heart.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave me a comment or question, anytime. Don't forget to follow my blog.